NRS 482.280 Expiration and renewal of registration. [Effective until the earlier of July 1, 2020, or the date on which the Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles notifies the Governor and the Director of the Legislative Counsel Bureau that sufficient resources are available to enable the Department to carry out the provisions of chapter 180, Statutes of Nevada 2017, at page 971.]
1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 482.2155, the registration of every vehicle expires at midnight on the day specified on the receipt of registration, unless the day specified falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday. If the day specified on the receipt of registration is a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the registration of the vehicle expires at midnight on the next judicial day. The Department shall mail to each holder of a certificate of registration a notification for renewal of registration for the following period of registration. The notifications must be mailed by the Department in sufficient time to allow all applicants to mail the notifications to the Department or to renew the certificate of registration at a kiosk or authorized inspection station or via the Internet or an interactive response system and to receive new certificates of registration and license plates, stickers, tabs or other suitable devices by mail before the expiration of their registrations. An applicant may present or submit the notification to any agent or office of the Department.
2. A notification:
(a) Mailed or presented to the Department or to a county assessor pursuant to the provisions of this section;
(b) Submitted to the Department pursuant to NRS 482.294; or
(c) Presented to an authorized inspection station or authorized station pursuant to the provisions of NRS 482.281,
Ê must include, if required, evidence of compliance with standards for the control of emissions.
3. The Department shall include with each notification mailed pursuant to subsection 1:
(a) The amount of the governmental services tax to be collected pursuant to the provisions of NRS 482.260.
(b) The amount set forth in a notice of nonpayment filed with the Department by a local authority pursuant to NRS 484B.527.
(c) A statement which informs the applicant:
(1) That, pursuant to NRS 485.185, the applicant is legally required to maintain insurance during the period in which the motor vehicle is registered which must be provided by an insurance company licensed by the Division of Insurance of the Department of Business and Industry and approved to do business in this State; and
(2) Of any other applicable requirements set forth in chapter 485 of NRS and any regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
(d) A statement which informs the applicant that, if the applicant is required to report the mileage or any other information required by the Department pursuant to NRS 482.2177, the applicant must submit to the Department the mileage shown on the odometer of the vehicle at the time of application for renewal and any other information required by the Department.
(e) A statement which informs the applicant that, if the applicant renews a certificate of registration at a kiosk or via the Internet, he or she may make a nonrefundable monetary contribution of $2 for each vehicle registration renewed for the Complete Streets Program, if any, created pursuant to NRS 244.2643, 277A.285 or 403.575, as applicable, based on the declaration made pursuant to paragraph (c) of subsection 3 of NRS 482.215. The notification must state in a clear and conspicuous manner that a contribution for a Complete Streets Program is nonrefundable and voluntary and is in addition to any fees required for registration.
(f) Any amount due for reissuance of a license plate or a plate reissued pursuant to subsection 2 of NRS 482.265, if applicable.
4. An application for renewal of a certificate of registration submitted at a kiosk or via the Internet must include a statement which informs the applicant that he or she may make a nonrefundable monetary contribution of $2, for each vehicle registration which is renewed at a kiosk or via the Internet, for the Complete Streets Program, if any, created pursuant to NRS 244.2643, 277A.285 or 403.575, as applicable, based on the declaration made pursuant to paragraph (c) of subsection 3 of NRS 482.215. The application must state in a clear and conspicuous manner that a contribution for a Complete Streets Program is nonrefundable and voluntary and is in addition to any fees required for registration, and must include a method by which the applicant must indicate his or her intention to opt in or opt out of making such a contribution.
5. An owner who has made proper application for renewal of registration before the expiration of the current registration but who has not received the license plate or plates or card of registration for the ensuing period of registration is entitled to operate or permit the operation of that vehicle upon the highways upon displaying thereon the license plate or plates issued for the preceding period of registration for such a time as may be prescribed by the Department as it may find necessary for the issuance of the new plate or plates or card of registration.
[14:202:1931; A 1953, 330] — (NRS A 1959, 912; 1960, 100; 1963, 224, 1127; 1969, 686; 1971, 1553; 1975, 334, 1793; 1977, 924; 1979, 1820; 1981, 1694, 1695; 1983, 1619; 1985, 679; 1987, 1086, 2145; 1989, 505, 1872, 1874; 1991, 1914; 1993, 2201, 2860; 1995, 727, 728, 2359, 2730; 1997, 131, 625; 2001, 312, 2781; 2009, 1357, 2197; 2013, 2815; 2015, 1754, 2818; 2019, 3004)