Click edit button to change this text.
NRS 484B.160 Person riding upon bed of flatbed truck or within bed of pickup truck.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 4, a driver shall not permit a person, with regard to a motor vehicle being operated on a paved highway, to ride upon or within any portion of the vehicle that is primarily designed or intended for carrying goods or other cargo or that is otherwise not designed or intended for the use of passengers, including, without limitation:
(a) Upon the bed of a flatbed truck; or
(b) Within the bed of a pickup truck.
2. A driver may permit a person to ride upon the bed of a flatbed truck or within the bed of a pickup truck if the person is:
(a) Eighteen years of age or older; or
(b) Under 18 years of age and the motor vehicle is:
(1) Being used in the course of farming or ranching; or
(2) Being driven in a parade authorized by a local authority.
3. A citation must be issued to a driver who permits a person to ride upon or within a vehicle in violation of subsection 1. A driver who is cited pursuant to this subsection shall be punished by a fine of at least $35 but not more than $100.
4. The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to the portion of the bed of a truck that is covered by a camper shell or slide-in camper.
5. A violation of this section:
(a) Is not a moving traffic violation for the purposes of NRS 483.473; and
(b) May not be considered as:
(1) Negligence or causation in a civil action; or
(2) Negligent or reckless driving for the purposes of NRS 484B.653.
6. As used in this section:
(a) “Camper shell” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 361.017.
(b) “Slide-in camper” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 482.113.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1507; A 2001, 1906; 2003, 3246) — (Substituted in revision for NRS 484.473)